Thursday 17 January 2013

Ryoshi Sushi Ikeikemaru

 Visiting Japan and indulging in its food has made me picky about Japanese food. While I will still eat the $5 bento set in food courts if I really feel like having a quick fix, I am merely tolerating the sub-par standards of the average Japanese food in Singapore.

The good thing, there are actually quite a number of restaurants that serve good Japanese food, at a cost still bearable to my wallet.

I am sharing my new found haunt for sushi: Ryoshi Sushi Ikeikemaru. The discovery of this place comes in handy- right after my trip back from the land of the rising sun.

The places serves conveyor sushi, but the quality is similar to that of Itacho's,and in the same price range too. While there may not be a wide variety of sushi here, there are some pretty innovative ones that you don't see elsewhere. 

The icing on the cake is the service here is very good. The manager is a jolly fellow who smiles a lot, is friendly, and actually checks if you enjoyed the meal.  

 The pretty spacious restaurant

with earnest sushi chefs making the food. That was natto sushi that just came on to the conveyor belt. Natto!

We ordered a udon set, which allowed us to top up to order a sushi platter. But the real stars are the following: 

My favourite: prawn with grilled mozzarella cheese. 

On the left: crab innards with miso. Nice crabby flavours, if you know what I mean. But some may find the taste slightly too strong. 

On the right: squid with mentaiko. Look at the huge blob of mentaiko! There was a generous topping of squid, which tasted so much more flavourful with the spicy kick of the mentaiko.


 I think this was marinated mackeral with ginger on top.

Of course, salmon sushi is a must order. They also serve a salmon belly sushi for those who want to enjoy more of that melt-in-your-mouth feeling. 

And finally, some udon to set the stomach.

The sushi here are made with huge slices of fish and a proportionately lesser amount of rice. I like this kind of sushi where there is more fish than rice.

Like Fukuichi, Ryoshi seems to have a mother company in Japanese, explaining the quality of fish here. Most of the fishes originate from Hokkaido.

Maybe I'll return for dinner there tomorrow, hurhur. 

Ryoshi Sushi Ikeikemaru
Liang Court, B1-48
177 River Valley Road

No comments: