Tuesday 25 September 2012

Chikuwa Tei reborn as Mitsuba

One Friday night, we found ourselves chilling by the Singapore River comfortably in a restaurant in Central. We were here at the new enterprise of Chef Peter, who has set up the much loved Chikuwa Tei, and left it to set up another new restaurant. 

The new setting is more spacious and accessible. I hate the winding car park at Central, but I guess it beats having to worry about finding a parking lot at Robertson Quay.

We haven't been to Chikuwa Tei for some time and when I found out that the Nazi chef has left to set up a new shop, I decided a visit was in order. Besides, I have been craving for sashimi!

 First, the sashimi set I ordered. This was around $21, and seemed almost similar to the famous Chirashi don. To find out the difference, we ordered both to see which is more value for money. 

The sashimi in the set: scallop, swordfish and salmon. Very value for money to have fruits and another small dish to accompany the meal. 

Now for the Chirashi don which is now priced at $28. Slightly more expensive : (  Also, the rice and sashimi are now served separately.

So what is missing from the sashimi set which the don has: the tamago, salmon roe and prawn.

BUT, the swordfish cut was poorer: it was tougher than mine and I have more slices of the swordfish.

I don't know if it happens to be like this, but if the Chirashi don uses this cut of swordfish consistently, I would go for the sashimi set instead.

Needless to say, it was another good sashimi feast. And I wish the prices were cheaper so that we can go back there more often.

I am craving for it now already!

 A close-up of the sashimi slices to end the post because I feel so happy looking at them. Ya the photo could have been better but sometimes you just want to tuck it and enjoy the food. Heck getting the best photo!

6 Eu Tong Sen Street
#03-88, The Central

No comments: