Thursday 15 November 2012

Dean and Deluca

This place has opened for a while but we only paid a visit last Saturday because I am opposed to patronising overpriced restaurants whose food does not justify the price tag.

But Dear had a work assignment on Saturday afternoon and suggested to squeeze brunch in at Dean and Deluca before he heads off to work.

Dean and Deluca is a gourmet store from New York, which sells different kind of food ingredients, such as truffles for over a $100 and pasta for more than $10. It also sells hot food, bread and serves brunch for the whole day.

The place wasn't crowded on a Saturday afternoon and we found a seat easily. 

Ordering the food is self-service here. Go to the counter to chose your pick (dishes are on average $20) and queue to place the order at the cashier.

I was pretty horrified at having to queue to order when I am paying at least $20 for a dish. At least they do serve the dish to your table and the service charge is waived.

My BBQ chicken panini. When Dear helped me make the order as I was guarding our table, the staff asked if I would like to change the order to another item. @_@  We were worried if it meant the panini is awful.

Well, the panini was decent, but too much for one person to finish. It is served with potato chips and a salad. Taste wise, it is the same flavours of the commonly used BBQ sauce.  

Dear's wagyu burger with cheese and portobello mushroom. This was better than mine. I suppose it is very hard to go wrong with the robust earthly flavours of portobello mushrooms and a juicy wagyu beef patty. I actually rather liked the bun too.

The fries was a disappointment though. You can literally see the oil on the inside of the fry when you take a bite off it. And it wasn't crispy too.

I have labelled this place as a place not to revisit unless absolutely necessary.

Dean and Deluca
04-23/24
Orchard Central

No comments: