Tuesday 20 November 2012

Sunset Grill: Buffalo Wings

When I think of Jalan Kayu, I think of roti prata. And if you ask me to think about buffalo wings in Jalan Kayu, I would think about Jerry's BBQ & Grill.

But now, there is another buffalo wing titan in the area competing for attention. The famous Sunset Grill and pub from Seletar has moved to Jalan Kayu, and is near New Soon Huat Bak Kut Teh. We finally went back to have the wings after failing to try it the other time.

We ordered the Level 3 wings, which cost around $20 for six wings. Pretty expensive. The food here is pretty expensive in general. The place doesn't have the service charge but I guess it is already incorporated in the prices of the food.

After our first bites of the chicken wing, Dear and I looked at each other and said: "That's not so spicy, huh?" But the spiciness started oozing out when you eat the wings continuously. After our (spicy hot) experiences at Jerry's, I developed some tactics to minimise the fiery effect.

1) Don't let the chicken wings touch your lips to avoid swollen lips.
2) Eat the chicken wings slowly. Eat one and move on to eat another food before going back to the wing, to give the stomach and tongue a break.

Another tip I learnt that night is: don't eat too many wings even if they are not that painfully hot. I ate four of the wings and my stomach felt hot the whole morning after. And I had to visit the toilet twice.

Back to the wings here, they are coated thickly with the spicy sauce which looks like sambal chilli. Best to scrap some off. The taste here is very different from Jerry's where there is a strong Tabasco flavour. Here, there is a slight taste of vinegar and the chilli effect is more like an after burn on the throat. 

Dear had a hamburger steak. Portions of the mains were big, so I guess it makes paying a hefty price slightly better. The mushroom sauce that came along with the steak had a strong taste of button mushrooms.

I chose the pork chop, which was a bit tough. But the grill marks on the meat made it easy to cut the meat into bite-sized portions. This is what I like about the pork chops here. I also like the grilled pineapple rings which helped to ease the spiciness and gelat-ness of eating the food. 

Sunset Grill and pub
259 Jalan Kayu

No comments: