Monday 7 January 2013

Fukuichi Japanese Dining

Half days at work before a public holiday doesn't come easy. Having a half day at work which Dear can drive his red plate car on, and meet me afterwards, is even more difficult to have.

Inspiration hit me when New Year Day came around. Dear and I could knock off early on New Year's Eve and I had just discovered the wonders of the set lunch at Fukuichi Japanese Restaurant. We went there previously for Dear's bday, and left with an impression that while the food was good, the prices were not for everyday dining.

Then I found out recently that they have very reasonable set lunches for around $20. Best thing: the set lunches all available on weekends! How cool is that! I have always been peeved that restaurants do not offer set lunches during weekends, and rue missing out on a lot of good deals.

So I made a reservation for lunch on New Year's Eve and invited Dear on a lunch date. I don't know why but I feel like we were going on a proper date, kind of. It's been some time since we went to town for lunch.
 
 The interiors of the restaurant. The waitresses are dressed in kimonos and ocha tea is served free of charge.

 I ordered the appetiser of crab meat and century egg again. Still good. But it's a little bowl of luxury at $6.

I ordered the mentaiko grilled fish set. The serving was generous, and came with a lot of sides like the miso soup, salad, and mochi dessert.

There was a thick coating of mentaiko on top of the fish, and the sauce had a spicy aftertaste in the mouth.

Fukuichi is supposed to be famous for quality sashimi. According to its website, it has over 100 years of history in Japan, and flies in its seafood from Shizouka by its partner in Japan, Fukuichi GyoGyo, which has been in the fishing industry for over 300 years.

There was a sashimi set available in the lunch menu but we ordered the sushi set instead. Maybe the fish served for the lunch set was those of a lower grade, we were not impressed by the fish or sushi.

However for around $20 at set, the sushi set was still pretty value for money. The set also came with a medium-sized bowl of udon to warm and fill the stomach after the sushi.

People's perspectives do change over the years. Looking at the ala carte menu again, I find the prices not that high as I remembered, and we could afford to come back more often. It is slightly more expensive than the usual Sushi Tei, but the quality of food and dining environment is better too.

I think the prices of the average Japanese restaurant have increased too much without a corresponding increase in quality. I would rather pay slightly more for better food. So, Fukuichi, you are now on my list of fav Japanese restaurant!

Fukuichi Japanese Dining
TripleOne Somerset #02-11/12

No comments: