Tuesday 23 April 2013

Savour 2013- My bday treat

We are back from our trip! Before I start to blog about the trip, here's a post abt my bday celebration. Dear managed to score an invite to Savour 2013, so clever him turned it into my bday celebration.

It was my first time to the atas food festival and the setting was smaller than I thought. It was also pretty warm that night we visited, though it seems that I was the only one feeling warm.

 
 Now to the food! It was certainly a pricey outing as we spend $120 between us sampling the food.

My fav of the night!  Gunther Hubrechsen's signature dish of cold angel hair pasta with Oscietra caviar and truffle oil. Served cold and full of flavours, it was wonderful on a warm evening. This was one of the dishes that I was looking forward to trying and it didn't disappoint.


How can I pass on trying the interesting dishes from Bo Innovation? We tried the X-treme Long Bao (front) and quail egg with caviar (back). The Xiao Long Bao is chef Alvin Leung's specialty and burst in the mouth with sesame oil flvaours. Well, at least I tried the works of the Asian father of molecular gastronomy. I came up with that name myself, haha.

We ordered two of the Xiao Long Bao but managed to get one more for free when the counter thought that we had only received one of the Xiao Long Baos. Score!

And of course, we had foie gras too. We tried the rendition from Chef Douglas Tay of Osia Singapore and were happy with it. He had given the foie gras a very crunchy texture while the inside was still soft and moist.

Another score we had that night: I encouraged Dear to try the foie gras ice- cream from one of the booths. Since it was $16, and I wasn't particular interested in eating a solidified version of foie gras, we only ordered one of those to try. The chef kindly treated me as well to the ice cream, so we got two for the price of 1! Score again!!

The rest of the food we had:

Braised beef cheek with potato mash and dessert from Chef Jason Atherton of Pollen Street Social UK (his food is generally good!), coconut dessrt with exploding sugar grains from Forrest Singapore and chicken biryani from Song of India.

Ya I know, it is a little lame to have the biryani but I have never tried the Song of India before and wanted to see what is so good about its food. Besides, at $10 a plate, the biryani is a cost effective way of filling up the tummy if you are not full at the end of the night.

It was a fun experience, though I kept telling Dear that I felt so guilty to spend so much on food in such a setting. But I guess it is nice to have been there, done that. : )

No comments: