Thursday 12 July 2012

Mayura Indian Restaurant

I think it would not be exaggeration to say that this restaurant marks a new milestone in our relationship. In our nearly seven years of relationship, this is the first time we ate together in an Indian restaurant (roti prata and briyani places not counted).

Sounds unbelivable, right?!

But Dear and I have never been particularly been inclined towards exploring the cuisine. And I'm glad that our first exploration in the foods turn out well.

Mayura restaurant at Siglap came highly recommended by Dear's colleague. Since the last place he recommended us, Jaspers's,nailed our tastebuds, we took up his suggestion again.

When we walked into the restaurant on a Friday night at 8pm, there were no other customers. That freaked me out a little.

And the restaurant was rather posh. Thankfully, the prices are considered reasonable and not as posh as the ambience.

 This is what we came for: the deep fried cauliflower. Wonderfully crispy on the outside. Crunchy and chewy at the same time. The serving was enough to feed three or four persons, but we are not complaining that we can help ourselves to a lot more of it.

I think cauliflower is a very tasty vegetable when it is prepared well. Besides this Indian version of how it can be used ingeniously, it also taste good as a substitute for mashed potato. I can't wait for my place to come so that I can try my hands at making these dishes.

 The butter chicken, which was very aromatic and had thick chunks of chicken in it. We ordered a garlic naan to mop up the sauce.

The Thai style fried rice, which was not too bad, but paled in comparison to the other two dishes.

The bill came up to around $40, which is pretty decent for the amount we ordered.

As we were finishing up, two groups of diners came in. It was pretty stressful to be eating in a quiet empty restaurant, with your conversation being overhead by all the staff! Speaking of the staff, their service was one of the best that I have experienced in Singapore lately- refilling glasses promptly and were knowledgeable about the menu.

There's also a TV set in the restaurant which screens Hindi MTVs. So I guess the authentic Indian feeling extends to the environment as well. 

I've not been to many Indian restaurants but I'm prepared to make this my favourite Indian restaurant, for now. : )

Mayura Restaurant
723 East Coast Road

No comments: