Monday 9 July 2012

Of Dolphins and Reindeers

It has occurred to me that our posts have all been about food, food and more food. I suppose it's good, cos it means that we have been eating well, which is a result of me now having more time to look for places to eat.

And it also means I have the time to visit new food places- such a contrast from the past where weekends are burnt in the office and the hectic weekdays only make me feel like curling up at home with Dear on those days when I'm off.

Now I'm raring to go out and explore places. You would have also known that we, or I, have been making it a point to have a nice brunch or lunch on the weekends.

We went sight-seeing over the past weekend and took our Olympus Pen for a photography trip. Pics will be up when I get the SD card from Dear over the weekend.

Dear is on reservist now and we have been hit by the sore throat/flu bug. Yikes. In the meantime, while waiting for Dear to be released from his reservist on Saturdays, I'll continue to upload the backdated logs of our food adventures.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember how the weather was very warm a week ago? Now, it has been raining almost everyday. :(

So anyway, I have cravings for cold noodles during spells of warm weather. It's a legacy from having tried the cold noodles snacks in Hong Kong. Dear and I even said that we should start a shop selling the refreshing snack in a tropical climate in Singapore. 

The only time I saw something close to it was a shop in Bugis village which has seen closed down. Recently, I learnt about a shop that sells cold noodles as a main. At a cheap price and taste good too. 

So I brought Dear to the shop after work. We have been back there twice. 

The shop, Wheat Baumkuchen Noodle & Pastry Bar, is located at Toa Payoh Hub. Ideal for grabbing a cup of KOI which is round the corner. Or ideal for getting a cup of KOI and eating lunch after your HDB appointment. 

The menu. The noodles are named after cutesy animals. The noodles are generally cold soba noodles tossed in miso or sesame sauce and topped with lots of vegetables and other ingredients such as chicken and mushrooms.

I think this place should be a hit with the office ladies in the area.

 The small eatery

 The reindeer noodles. Lots of Japanese influence with the edamame, kelp and mushrooms. 

My favorite is the dolphin set. The miso sauce it is tossed in has a spicy kick to it. Love that. 

I ate the dolphin set on both visit while Dear tried the seal set on another visit. Shredded chicken and egg to provide an all-rounded healthy meal.

This is actually very simple food. What makes the noodle delicious is primary the sauce that they were tossed in and being chilled. The two factors make the noodles a very appetising meal. And the low prices sealed my opinon that this is a good place to eat at.

Now, I am thinking if I can replicate this at home. I should look for an easy recipe to make a kick-ass sauce.


Wheat Baumkuchen Noodle & Pastry Bar
Blk 190, Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #01-530

No comments: