Wednesday 28 November 2012

Joe's Thai Kitchen

Phew! I have finally finished my assignment and have time to do this post. : ) We are going away next Thurs and we (or I am) are also busy finalising the itinerary. Now I am wishing the holiday won't come so soon, so that it won't end so soon after months of anticipation. :p

First things first, I have found a new favourite Thai place after Nakhon Kitchen, which I stopped frequently after I had food poisoning after eating too much chilli oil, and the expensive Thai Accent in Vivocity.

I dubbed this the Nakhon Kitchen of the West. Ladies and gentlemen, presenting to you this hidden gem in Alexandra Road:

I have always wanted to try this place. And finally tried it when my uncle catered food from here for his housewarming last year. And the food was really good! And so I made a trip to its shop on one of those nights where we were wondering what to eat and the place came to my mind. 

Of cos, we have to order the Tom Yum Soup, which is around $5 for a bowl that serves two. I love it. For a brief second, I felt transported back to Bangkok. The tom yum tasted like the one we had at T&K in Chinatown's seafood. 

Ok, to temper expectations, I must add here that Dear said Thai restaurants that are above average in Sg do serve Tom Yum that tastes similar to this. But I just love how it is more spicy and less sour than the usual ones in Sg. There isn't any powdery feeling in the soup too.

I would complain that there is only a miserly amount of ingredients in the soup (one prawn, a few slices of fish and squid, a few pieces of mushroom), but then again, the soup only costs $5.

The basil with pork dish at $8. I'm not a big basil with pork fan. Dear likes it more. He said it is not bad. So I guess we can take his word for it haha. 

Kang kong in Thai style for $6. Well, nothing to be said for plain stir fried vegetables. The vegetables were very green, like really green. Is that a valid culinary observation? Lol. 


When I uploaded the pictures, I noticed that my digital camera took a pretty sharp photo of the Kang Kong huh? All the details are so sharp. Cheap thrill.

They also do a very good stuffed chicken wing. They are slightly pricey at $2.50 each. We didn't order them this time.

I am so going back to the place again, especially on a cold day for more Tom Yum!

Joe's Thai Kitchen
125 Bukit Merah Lane 1 

No comments: