Sunday 22 March 2015

Mini moon- Bkk Day 3

Mini moon- Bkk Day 3

Today we are going somewhere new! Dear found out that there is a toy market in the Chinatown area and wanted to visit. Just nice my friend who always go Chinatown to shop on her Bkk trips always tell me that there are cheap accessories and whatever not that can be bought there. So I combined the toy shopping trip with my accessories shopping, hee.

We took a cab to Chinatown. First stop was the Sampeng Lek market because it is opened mainly for early business.

It is basically like our neighbourhood shopping. Lots of shops selling assorted items and quite a few toy shops toos.

There are quite a few small lanes intersecting the main road. We found a lane with lots of accessories shop. I managed to buy two necklaces that I quite like. Score!

There are also a couple of shops selling party items like balloons and party decor. There are also shops selling pots and plates, and Dear banned me from those shops. :(

We walked around and soon it was time to hunt for food becos we haven't had breakfast yet. We were hoping to find some nice food in Chinatown for breakfast but we couldn't find any eateries at all.

During our hunt, we walked past the Ratchawong Pier and stopped for a toilet break. The toilet here charge entry fee! And it didn't look too clean to me becos there were many people who were queuing to use the toilet. 

I went around taking photos while waiting for Dear to come back from the toilet.

And I noticed that there were fishes in the waters. Dun see the water so murky, but it is able to support marine life.The fishes come very close to the surface as they were trying to see if any humans threw bread into the water. There was a stall at the pier that sold bread for fish feed. 

We eventually gave up on finding a proper place for a sit down lunch and pop into a 7-11 store to buy food. I had cup noodles while Dear had a burger. I also bought a small packet of chips to complete the meal, haha. 

I think our lunch sounds pathetic but I took it as a chance to try the Tom Yum cup noodles in Bkk. Lol. 

We were done with the Sampeng Lek market and proceeded to walk over to the toy market- Saphan Lek market- which was about 10 minutes away. 

Toys galore for Dear. But I also had a buy and found things to buy for myself. So the trip was very worthwhile for me. Sadly Dear didn't buy anything as he found that the toys he liked were overpriced.
One toy that we really wanted to buy back. Dear really liked this but the auntie would only sell it in a pack of four together with other characters and that would cost us about S$200. So we had to strike it off the list. So sad. 

Went over to another mall where there were some toy shops. I was quite hungry and we took a break at MacDonald's. Junk food again.

We finished our shopping and decided to go to the Siam Paragon area to walk around. It was tough getting cabs back. All the cabs were occupied and we had to wait for about 15mins before we could get a ride. Hmph.

There was a mini fair outside Siam Center when we visited. We walked around looking for household accessories but non caught our eyes. Instead we made another trip to the supermarket to buy more snacks and sauces. Yes, me so auntie. *gasps*

I had planned for dinner to be Somtam Nua which was famous for its papaya salad. Finally got to eat it!

The menu is very limited and they focus on getting the dishes they serve right. The fried chicken wings is their other 'zhao pai' and I love it. Not sure what are the spices used but the crunchy chicken is super addictive. We wipe the plate clean, even the fried crumbs.

Our carbo was the Pad Thai which was very different from what we are used to in Singapore. The noodles are thinner and the main difference is that it was moist. But it was still very yummy and I secretly kept eating it to have more of it, hehe. 

We tried the papaya salad even though we are not huge fans of the dish because we have not eaten an authentic version of it. My conclusion is that it is much nicer than the ones we have in Singapore but it is still not my cup of tea. Sorry Mr Papaya Salad, I will stick to the rest of the Thai delicacies. 

Somtam is conveniently located beside a new shopping mall called Siam Square One so we headed over to digest our dinner for dessert later. The mall was spacious but the stuff was expensive. Platinum shopping ftw!

So after some window shopping and a trip to Daiso to buy nail clippers that Dear insisted he needed, we made our way to Mango Tango- a famous dessert shop in Bkk. The roadside ambiance added a cool factor to eating there.

We ordered the 'zhao pai' mango dessert set with glutinous rice. Frankly speaking, it was not mind-blowing and I don't know why it is highly raved but I supposed it makes for a nice chill out place for dessert. 

Dear decided we should take the BTS back instead of taking a cab, so we were very hardworking and walked to the BTS to make our way back for a rest.

I enjoyed the day as I got to visit new places today and the change to unfamiliar surroundings made me feel like I was a tourist in Bkk again. While I enjoy the shopping, the routine of knowing what we are going to do destroys the sense of exploration and made things seem mechanical.

So I rate this the best day of the trip for me!

No comments: